On 26th October, 1906 in Waihi Borough Chambers, the Waihi Golf Club was formed. The foundation subscription was set at one pound for gentlemen, 10 shillings for ladies.
The Hollis bush 9-hole course lasted until 1953 when Waihi Golf Club transferred to the existing 18 hole Woodlands Road, Waimata course.
The course today, despite its relatively short length of 5,697 meters, provides a good test of golfing skills. Its demanding greens, tree lined fairways and strategically placed hazards (though few in number), make an interesting round of golf. As a bonus, the volcanic ash subsoil provides excellent drainage, enabling play in the worst of weather.